Modals of Ability: Can, Could, Be able to, May, Might

صفحتنا على الفيس  بوك قناتنا على يوتيوب صفحتنا على تويتر 

المنهاج الفلسطيني لجميع الصفوف  الامتحانات لجميع الصفوف 

النتائج 1 إلى 2 من 2

الموضوع: Modals of Ability: Can, Could, Be able to, May, Might

Modals of Ability: Can, Could, Be able to, May, Might Introduction These five verbs are examples of modal verbs. • can • could • be able to • may •

تاريخ التسجيل
    Mar 2013
    المشاركات

افتراضي Modals of Ability: Can, Could, Be able to, May, Might

[hide]Modals of Ability: Can, Could, Be able to, May, Might Introduction These five verbs are examples of modal verbs. • can • could • be able to • may • might Modal verbs are helping/auxiliary verbs that express ideas like ability, permission, possibility, and necessity. Many modal verbs have more than one meaning. They are always followed by the simple form of a verb. For example, Alan can swim well. This shows that Alan has the ability to swim. 1. Modals for Ability Let’s start with expressing ability! We use can, be able to and could to show that someone has (or doesn’t have) an ability to do something. Look at these examples: Present/Future Ability Negative Past Ability Negative Alan can swim well. Jackie cannot play piano. Paul could speak Chinese when he was a child. Mary couldn’t finish her homework last night. I can meet you after school. We can’t visit Vancouver this weekend. Last night, there were no clouds in the sky and they could see all the stars. You couldn’t find the website this morning, could you? I am able to speak two s. I am not able to speak Arabic. When I was a young child, I wasn’t able to tie my shoes. I wasn’t able to finish my test yesterday. Brenda is able to run quickly. Stacey isn’t able to finish a marathon. Shaun was able to complete the assignment. Paula wasn’t able to pass the class. You are able to program a computer. We aren’t able to make a reservation tonight. They were able to catch six fish on their trip. You weren’t able to understand the answer, were you? Did you notice that the verbs after “can/could/be able to” are always in the simple form? For example: Alan can swim well. (subject + auxiliary verb + simple verb + ...) Do NOT change the modal auxiliary OR the main verb for he/she/it subjects. In addition, do not add “ing” or “ed”. Alan can swims well. Wrong! Alan can to swim well. Wrong! Alan can swimming well. Wrong! Alan could swam well. Wrong! How can we make questions about ability? It’s easy! Modal auxiliary + subject + main verb + ... ? Can she play guitar? Could you speak English when you were a child? BE + subject + able to + main verb + ... ? Are you able to understand the homework? Were you able to finish the test? Was he able to pass the exam? Notice that we do not need the verbs “do/does/did” when we make questions! The modal verb “be able to” includes the word “to”; the “to” is not an infinitive. 2. Modals for Possibility Let’s learn about expressing possibility now. The verbs may, might and could show possibility now and in the future. In this case, they have the same meaning. Look at this conversation: A: My mother said that it may snow tomorrow. B: Really? It might snow?! That’s great! I could make a snowman or go for a “snow” walk. A: Don’t get too excited. If the temperature is high, it may not snow. It may rain. B: Well, I guess I could still go for a walk in the rain. Be careful with may + “be” and “maybe”. Compare these sentences. Both are correct. Ann is not here today. She may be sick. “may be” is a modal. Ann is not here today. Maybe she is sick. “Maybe” is an adverb. 3. Modals for Permission Finally, let’s look at ways to ask for and give permission. We use may, could and can to do this. Formality Example most formal/polite May I go to the washroom? *only used with “I” and “we” medium formal Could I borrow your dictionary? Could he pay you tomorrow? casual Can I call you back later? Can she have a ie? Now, look at the (main) verbs that come after the subject. They are always in the simple form, just as with other modal verbs. Again, the most polite/formal way to answer these questions is with “may.” Examples: May I go to the washroom? Yes, you may (go to the washroom). Yes, you can. No, you may not. No, you cannot. Can she have a ie? Yes, she can. No, she can’t. Notice that we do not “contract” may + not = mayn’t. Wrong! Can’t and couldn’t are common contractions, however. Modals of Ability 1 - Can, Could, Be able to, May, Might Choose the best modal for each sentence. Click on the box beside the best answer. Show one at a time 1. When Vera was young, she ____________ type quickly. She took a typing class and now she ____________ type very quickly! A. ? can / could B. ? could not / can to C. ? could not / can 2. ____________ you play the piano when you were a child? A. ? May B. ? Could C. ? Can 3. ____________ I borrow your dictionary? A. ? May B. ? Am I able to C. ? Might 4. The little girl asked, "Mommy, ____________ I have a ie?" The mother said, "Yes, you ____________." A. ? can / are able to B. ? can / can C. ? may / might 5. I'm going to bring an umbrella today because it ____________ rain. A. ? is able to B. ? might C. ? can 6. George is absent from class today. He ____________ be sick. A. ? can B. ? is able to C. ? could 7. My cat ____________ jump, but it ____________ talk. A. ? can't / can B. ? can / can't 8. She ____________ understand Korean very well, but she ____________ speak it perfectly. A. ? be able to / cannot B. ? is able to / is able to C. ? is able to / cannot 9. Sara ____________ Italian food and she ____________ French food too! A. ? can s / can s B. ? can / is able to C. ? can ing / can ing 10. ____________ dogs fly? No, of course not! A. ? Do can B. ? May C. ? Can 11. Peter ____________ swim when he was a child, but now he ____________. In fact, he swims every day! A. ? could / can't B. ? couldn't / can't C. ? couldn't / can 12. Kevin was disappointed because he ____________ get tickets for the football game. A. ? wasn't able to B. ? weren't able to 13. The family can't decide where to go on vacation. They ____________ go to Los Angeles or they ____________ go to Hawaii. A. ? could / couldn't B. ? may / are able to C. ? might / may[/hide]

رئيسية الموقع منتديات الملتقى التربوي - القسم english section

Modals of Ability: Can< Could< Be able to< May< Might

الملفات المرفقةالملفات مرفقة في الاسفل الملفات المرفقة

افتراضي

شكرا جزيلا لك

معلومات الموضوع

الأعضاء الذين يشاهدون هذا الموضوع

الذين يشاهدون الموضوع الآن: 1 (0 من الأعضاء و 1 زائر)

المواضيع المتشابهه

1. Modals of Necessity: Must, Have got to, Have to
    بواسطة Imad في المنتدى english section
    مشاركات: 1
    آخر مشاركة: 2013-04-14, 09:02
  2. Modals of Polite Request: Would you, Could you, Will you, Can you
    مشاركات: 0
    آخر مشاركة: 2013-04-08, 00:18
  3. Modals with “Not”: Must not, Do not have to
    مشاركات: 0