Modals of Advice: Should, Ought to, Had better

صفحتنا على الفيس  بوك قناتنا على يوتيوب صفحتنا على تويتر 

المنهاج الفلسطيني لجميع الصفوف  الامتحانات لجميع الصفوف 

النتائج 1 إلى 1 من 1

الموضوع: Modals of Advice: Should, Ought to, Had better

Modals of Advice: Should, Ought to, Had better Introduction These three verbs are modal verbs. • should • ought to • had better Modal verbs are helping/auxiliary verbs that express

تاريخ التسجيل
    Mar 2013
    المشاركات

افتراضي Modals of Advice: Should, Ought to, Had better

[hide]Modals of Advice: Should, Ought to, Had better Introduction These three verbs are modal verbs. • should • ought to • had better Modal verbs are helping/auxiliary verbs that express ideas like ability, advice, and obligation. Many modal verbs have more than one meaning. They are always followed by the simple form of a verb. For example: Amanda should go to the doctor. This shows that we think it is a good idea for Amanda to visit the doctor. Modals for Advice Let's learn how to give advice! English speakers use the modal verbs “should,” “ought to” and “had better” to express that they think something is a good (or a bad) idea. “Should” is the most common way to give advice. Look at these examples: Affirmative Negative Question A: I failed my test. B: Really? You should studyharder. Young children shouldn't watch violent TV shows. I have a problem. Should I callmy parents or my friend? A: It's really cold outside. B: You ought to wear a warm jacket. (“ought to” is not usually used in the negative form) (“ought to” is not common in question form) A: You had better slow down. You are driving too fast! You had better not forget to pay your tuition. If you do, the university will kick you out! (“had better” is not usually used in question form) These examples have the same basic advice message, but “had better” is a bit stronger. It includes the idea of a warning: something bad will happen if you do not follow my advice. For example: You had better not forget to pay your tuition. If you forget, the university will kick you out You had better do your homework. If you do not do your homework, the teacher will give you a low mark. Note: “You had better...” can be contracted to become “You'd better....” This is correct grammar, and very common in speaking. Some native speakers say, “You better ...,” but this is incorrect. The “had” is necessary in good grammar. In the above examples, you can see that the modals are followed by the simple form of a verb in these patterns. Subject + modal + basic verb + ... You should study harder. You should to study harder. Wrong! You had better slowing down. Wrong! She ought to to drink more water. Wrong! Remember that “ought to” is a modal verb and is followed by a simple verb. The “to” is not an infinitive “to.” Modal + subject + basic verb + ...?? Should I call my parents or my friend? WH- (information) questions can also be formed by putting the WH- question word immediately before the modal. For example: What should I do about my problem? Where should we have dinner tonight? Why should you believe them? When should they call their boss? Modals of Advice 1 - Should, Ought to, Had Better Choose the best modal for each sentence. Click on the box beside the best answer. 1. Dave loves chocolate, but he _________________ too much or he will get fat. A. ? should eat not B. ? shouldn't eat C. ? should eat 2. I need help, doctor. My baby doesn't sleep well. What ________________ ? A. ? I should do B. ? should I do C. ? had I better do 3. I'm going to visit your country. Where _______________ if I want to go shopping? A. ? ought to I go B. ? should I go C. ? I should go 4. My mother isn't feeling well, so I told her that she _______________ to the doctor. A. ? ought to go B. ? ought C. ? ought go 5. The airline only allows two pieces of luggage. You _________________ pack too much or you will have to take it out at the airport! A. ? had better not B. ? better not C. ? had not better 6. It's raining and I don't want to get my dress wet. I _________________ an umbrella. A. ? had better not bring B. ? had better to bring C. ? had better bring 7. A: I think that the grade my teacher gave me on my test is wrong. B: Really? You ______________ to her after class today. A. ? ought to talk B. ? should to talk C. ? ought talk 8. A: I'm so hot. B: You _________________ your coat! A. ? should put on B. ? should to take off C. ? should take off[/hide]

رئيسية الموقع منتديات الملتقى التربوي - القسم english section

Modals of Advice: Should< Ought to< Had better

الملفات المرفقةالملفات مرفقة في الاسفل الملفات المرفقة

معلومات الموضوع

الأعضاء الذين يشاهدون هذا الموضوع

الذين يشاهدون الموضوع الآن: 1 (0 من الأعضاء و 1 زائر)

المواضيع المتشابهه

1. Modals of Ability: Can, Could, Be able to, May, Might
    بواسطة Imad في المنتدى english section
    مشاركات: 1
    آخر مشاركة: 2013-04-26, 14:14
  2. Modals of Necessity: Must, Have got to, Have to
    مشاركات: 1
    آخر مشاركة: 2013-04-14, 09:02
  3. Modals of Polite Request: Would you, Could you, Will you, Can you
    مشاركات: 0