Modals of Necessity: Must, Have got to, Have to

صفحتنا على الفيس  بوك قناتنا على يوتيوب صفحتنا على تويتر 

المنهاج الفلسطيني لجميع الصفوف  الامتحانات لجميع الصفوف 

النتائج 1 إلى 2 من 2

الموضوع: Modals of Necessity: Must, Have got to, Have to

Modals of Necessity: Must, Have got to, Have to Introduction These three verbs are modal verbs. • must • have got to • have to Modal verbs are helping/auxiliary verbs

تاريخ التسجيل
    Mar 2013
    المشاركات

افتراضي Modals of Necessity: Must, Have got to, Have to

[hide]Modals of Necessity: Must, Have got to, Have to Introduction These three verbs are modal verbs. • must • have got to • have to Modal verbs are helping/auxiliary verbs that express ideas like ability, necessity, and prohibition. Many modal verbs have more than one meaning. They are always followed by the simple form of a verb. For example: Andrew has to pay his rent every month. This shows that Andrew has no choice. He has an obligation to pay his rent. He will be in trouble if he does not pay his rent. Modals of Necessity Let's read about how to express necessity or obligation. The modal verbs “must,” “have to” and “have got to” show that something is not optional; it is necessary. Must is the strongest and most serious modal verb of the three and is most common in writing. It is unusual to use “must” in questions. I must study tonight. Have got to is most common in informal speech. It is not used in questions. I have got to study tonight. = I must study tonight. Have to is the most commonly used modal of obligation. It is useful for forming questions and negatives. Be careful! The subject and verb must agree for he/she/it subjects AND the question form requires “Do/Does/Did”. Example Question Answer I have to study tonight. Do I have to study tonight? Yes, I do. She has to study tonight. Does she have to study tonight? No, she doesn't. Remember: “have got to” and “have to” are modal verbs and require a simple verb to follow them. The “to” is part of the modal; it is not an infinitive “to”. There is only one way to express past time with these modal verbs: HAD TO. (There is no past tense of must/have got to.) For example: Present Time Past Time We must show our passport at the airport. Last night, we had to show our passport at the airport. I have got to pay my phone bill soon. I had to pay my phone bill this morning. They have to go to the meeting today. They had to go to the meeting yesterday. Pronunciation notes: The modal verb have got to is often contracted as: I've got to and sounds like “I've gotta...” The modal verb have to often sounds like: “I hafta...” or “She hasta...” “gotta”, “hafta”, and “hasta” cannot be used in written English. They are only used in speaking. Modals of Necessity 1 - Must, Have got to, Have to Choose the correct answer for each sentence. Click on the box beside the best answer. Show one at a time 1. In order to log on to the Internet, Sally __________ her user I.D. A. ? has got to entering B. ? have to enter C. ? must enter 2. Mr. Wu: Hi, Mark. Where's your dad? Mark: Oh, he ______________ to work because there was an emergency. A. ? had got to go B. ? musted go C. ? had to go 3. Friend: _________________________ pay to see the doctor? Brother: No, she ________________ because she has medical insurance. A. ? Do your sister have to / don't B. ? Does your sister have to / doesn't C. ? Must your sister / musn't 4. When a police officer asks to see your driver's license, you _____________ to him/her. A. ? have got show it B. ? must to show it C. ? have got to show it 5. If you have a pet dog, you _____________ feed it every day or it will die! A. ? has got to B. ? have got C. ? have got to 6. According to the law, drivers ______________ at stop signs. A. ? must to stop B. ? must stop C. ? must stopping 7. If Richard wants to become a professional musician, he ______________ every day. A. ? has to practice B. ? have to practice C. ? haves to practice 8. Son: Mom, I don't want to clean my room. _________________ it right now? Mother: Yes, right now. A. ? Have I to clean B. ? Do I must clean C. ? Do I have to clean[/hide]

رئيسية الموقع منتديات الملتقى التربوي - القسم english section

Modals of Necessity: Must< Have got to< Have to

الملفات المرفقةالملفات مرفقة في الاسفل الملفات المرفقة

2. افتراضي

يسلمواا

معلومات الموضوع

الأعضاء الذين يشاهدون هذا الموضوع

الذين يشاهدون الموضوع الآن: 1 (0 من الأعضاء و 1 زائر)

المواضيع المتشابهه

1. Modals of Ability: Can, Could, Be able to, May, Might
    بواسطة Imad في المنتدى english section
    مشاركات: 1
    آخر مشاركة: 2013-04-26, 14:14
  2. Modals of Polite Request: Would you, Could you, Will you, Can you
    مشاركات: 0
    آخر مشاركة: 2013-04-08, 00:18
  3. Modals with “Not”: Must not, Do not have to
    مشاركات: 0